Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How about making your own seasoning mix......

and a good place to start would be with taco seasoning.  You probably have all the ingredients in your spice cabinet or pantry anyway, and you can make this in less than one minute.  The advantages to making your own include adjusting the heat level for your family's taste,  taking out any ingredients you don't care for, and most important of all, much healthier than store bought, no preservatives such as MSG.

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com, made it last night and it was a hit!

Taco Seasoning


print recipe


Ingredients


1 tablespoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions


In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.






I keep a few empty clear spice bottles around (you can get them at Bed, Bath & Beyond) and that is how I store mine, and just sprinkle what I think I need.  The recipe is pretty much equivalent to a whole seasoning pack you would buy at the store.   The next time I mix it up, I can going to triple the recipe so I can keep more on hand.  I am hoping that after making your own, you'll give up buying those packets!

Have a wonderful day!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment