Friday, January 27, 2012

Don't you just love a recipe with 5 ingredients or less?

I know I do.   I definitely gravitate toward a recipe with as few ingredients as possible, especially when I am planning weeknight meals.  The words quick, easy & simple seem to catch my eye too.  I was browsing in my local Barnes & Noble and realized that one of my favorite cookbook authors had written her 4th (to my knowledge) cookbook, and the title grabbed me.  Robin Takes 5 by Robin Miller.  The description on the cover:

500 recipes
5 ingredients or less
500 calories or less
5 nights a week at
5:00 PM


What's not to like?  I bought the book, brought it home, found a recipe that I had all the ingredients for and gave it a test run.  This is my first recipe from the book, and I won't review the book until I've tried a few more, but this one was a winner.




Roasted Chicken with Hearts of Palm and Parmesan


print recipe


Ingredients:


4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon garlic-flavored olive oil
1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

Brush the chicken all over with the oil and transfer the chicken to a shallow roasting pan.  Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Top the chicken with the hearts of palm and Parmesan cheese.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.  Top the chicken with the parsley just before serving.

Recipe Source: Robin Takes 5, Robin Miller





I was out of parsley, so didn't include it as you can see by my picture, but the dish was excellent anyway.  If you are looking at recipes with few ingredients, generally salt, pepper and water do not count, so keep that in mind.  The author does try to keep everything low-sodium, so season to your own tastes or needs.  Keep in mind that some cheeses, like Parmesan, already have a bit of salty taste to them.

Serve with rice, orzo, couscous and a salad for a complete meal.  You will love it!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment