Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lamb Chops............

I love lamb chops, although the first time I ever made them at home was last year.  It was my opinion that it was such a special meal, that I could only have it on a special occasion in a fine dining restaurant atmosphere.  I am so glad I don't think that anymore.  Now that I've made them at home, realized how easy it is and how much money I save, lamb chops have been added to the "mine are better" list, and I probably won't be ordering them at a restaurant again.

I have a hard time right now finding lamb chops in the regular supermarket.  I have had much better luck going to a butcher shop or a Whole Foods market.  (Dear Publix, I still miss you so much because you would probably have them for me, any day of the week.....)  Do ask the meat counter at your favorite supermarket, maybe they'll have some in the back.


I like to have mine with tzatziki sauce, a refreshing greek yogurt with cucumber.  An American version is to serve with mint jelly, which I like as well, but the hubby not so much.


I like to make a spice mixture in a small bowl, rub it over the chops, then put them back in the refrigerator for a few hours.  Before grilling, pull the chops out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature for 20-30 minutes.  I like to grill mine on high heat for 4-5 minutes per side for medium doneness, and I have done both the outdoor grill and the indoor grill pan with both being successful.  If you like yours more rare, do 3 minutes per side. (I use just a small amount of olive oil for the indoor grill pan, and nothing for the outdoor grill)

Spice Rub for Lamb Chops

1     teaspoon kosher salt
1/2  teaspoon pepper
3/4  teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2  teaspoon dried thyme
1/4  teaspoon dried basil

Rub on both sides of lamb chops 3-4 hours before grilling.

Sorry about missing the after picture, we were really hungry.......:)

This was a dish I feared, and I conquered it, just like I did prime rib (a future post).  But, I am still going out and letting the pros cook scallops, calamari, and ahi tuna for me.....for now.....

Have a wonderful day!

Nancy








No comments:

Post a Comment