Monday, February 13, 2012

Flank Steak with Cucumber- Scallion Relish......

Here's another recipe from my current go to cookbook, Robin Takes 5, by Robin Miller.  We had a busy weekend, so I wanted something quick, and this definitely fit the bill.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a nice looking flank steak at the store, so I used 2 chuck steaks, and they worked out pretty good.  I am anxious to try them on the grill this spring, using the flank steak.



Flank Steak with Cucumber-Scallion Relish


print recipe


1 1/2 pounds flank or skirt steak
1 English (seedless) cucumber, diced (about 2 cups)
2 scallions, chopped (white and green parts)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic-flavored olive oil

Coat a stove top grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.  Season both sides of the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Place the steak on the hot pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium.  Remove the steak from the pan and let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing crosswise (against the grain) into 1/4 inch-thick slices.

Meanwhile, combine the cucumber, scallions, cider vinegar and oil and mix well.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Serve the steak with the relish spooned over the top.

Recipe Source:  Robin Takes 5, Robin Miller






Keep in mind that with recipes with so few ingredients, go with good quality oils and vinegars.  This is my first bottle of garlic flavored olive oil I have ever bought, but it definitely won't be my last.  Also, I cooked the steak 5 minutes per side, for a perfect medium.

Give this easy recipe a try, you will love it's simplicity and flavor.

Enjoy your day!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment