Monday, August 13, 2012

I like them, I really like them!........

Brussel sprouts.  Just to say it can take me back to childhood and fear.  You know, that fear of having to try something that you can't even stand to look at or smell?  The vegetable that maybe your Mom would eat, but no one else would let cross their lips?  I think it was second on my list, right after liver and onions, (which by the way, will remain on my fear list forever) but I can gladly say, I like brussel sprouts!

Here's why:  Bacon!  When they say every thing is better with bacon, just go for it.  Here's what I used, after combining several recipes together.



Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple & Bacon


1/2 - 1 lb. fresh brussel sprouts
4-5   slices cooked bacon/save the grease
1-2   granny smith apples
1-2   tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-2   tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Either fry bacon in a skillet or bake in oven until crisp.  Save bacon grease.  Crumble. Remove the dark green leaves from outside of brussel sprouts. Cut core off at bottom of brussel sprouts then cut in halves or quarters.  Cut apple (skin on) into small chunks.  Combine everything (including bacon grease) except cooked bacon in a bowl and spread out on baking sheet.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, maybe longer if sprouts are large.  Add bacon bits and serve.





How did it go over?  Let's just say the fear is gone, baby!  I will now eat brussel sprouts that are roasted for now, and I am willing to try them other ways too.  The hubby loved them, but lucky for me, he'll pretty much eat anything!

Have a wonderful week!

Nancy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment